Bigrigg.org.uk


Contact : e-mail here


March 2016 A series of listings with background information relating to people and accidents that had occurred in the mines and pits added



The village - old and new The pits and quarries The railways The school
Jubilee and village hall St Johns church Walks around the area Plane crash in Bigrigg in 1947
Maps - historical and modern Business's around the area Useful weblinks


The purpose of this site is to record a host of information relating to the village of Bigrigg in West Cumbria, UK. A number of sources have been used and credits given where possible.

It contains documents, maps and photographs (old & new), some of which need names to faces, places etc.

If anyone has any further information regarding Bigrigg, either corrections, updates or new material please get in touch and I shall include it and acknowledge the source.

Bigriggs' proper name is Bigrigg Moor.

Sitting on the A595 road that leads from Whitehaven to Egremont, Bigrigg melds into the surrounding farmland. Deep hollows in the area attest to iron ore mining as far back as medieval times. Bigrigg's Hematite deposits were considered to be of the highest quality.

The area is surrounded by old Iron Ore mines dating back some 200 years.

Deep hollows in the area attest to iron ore mining as far back as medieval times, indeed, shafts occasionally open up and have to be capped.The junction of the

St Bees-Woodend and Whitehaven-Egremont road was the scene of high mining activity.

By 1829, there were three different companies mining eight pits in the area. Iron ore mining continued to expand from this time. Further encouragement for mining resulted when the railway was constructed in the late 1850's.
Pits often flooded due to the proximity of the River Ehen, in nearby Egremont, so the mining companies diverted the river. By the late 1800's some mines were closing in the area while others continued to open. In 1924 a mine disaster at the Croft Pit in Bigrigg trapped ten men for 28 hours before they were rescued. By 1932 all the mines were closed.

St John's Church in the village was built in 1878-80 in the Decorated style. Its stained glass memorial windows are by Charles Kempe.


Bigrigg - Bigrigg (1235); Bygrig, Bigrigg -ryg, Byggerik (1295); Biggerig (1342); Bigrigshagh
(1365).
"Ridge where barley grows" as opposed to grazing land - see Scalegill.
Glints - Clynt; Clint hill (1675);
klint.
Gutterby - Godrikeby;   Godrickeby  (1235);   Goderikby   (1312);   Godrigby  (1378);   Guderby (1500); Goodrigbye (1590); Godricsby. i.e Godrik's (personal name)
homestead.

Linethwaite -  Lynthwayt (1338); Lynthwaite (1500);

"flax clearing"   commonly grouped with the Bigrigg/Moor Row area for geographical, postal and social reasons.
Pallaflat -  Pallaflat(t) (1578)
believed to be flatt (land = meadow) of Palla (medieval personal name)
Park House (1322).
possible origin "park of Egremound"
Scalegill - Scalgaill  (1321);   Scalegilen  (1338);   Scagill,   Skalegille  (1363);   Skalegyll  (1500); Skellgill (1578); Skaylgille nigh St. Bees (1656)
summer grazing by the gill up from St. Bees.
Woodend - Wodend (1387); Wodehend (1338).
 possibly "skali" - clearly wood-end



Contents
A DVD, entitled 'Old Bigrigg'  is available which contains a lot of the photos used on this site, plus others, as well as further information about Bigrigg, it is available for a donation of 10, which will go towards the Village Hall funds (which is a registered charity), if you would like a copy please get in touch.

Copyright - Eric Greenwood

Credits, the following people are to be thanked for their information in the compiling of this website:

Neil Hodgson - photographs, names, dates and a host of other information making this site possible.
Jean Eilbeck - names, places etc.
Mr & Mrs R Rowbottom -  Bigrigg church 200th anniversary booklet
Roy Newby
Dr. Brian Bastow
Durham mining Museum


All site material is owned by those  persons who have given information as listed in the 'credits' listing and should not be used without prior permission, for permission contact us here.



Visitor Map by PimpUpYourSite.com